Unlike my tuneage compatriots, I’m not an album kind of a person. Before losing all of my music recently, every song in my collection was carefully picked. I had a smattering of music from many bands and almost no complete albums.It’s one of the reasons I love soundtracks - dozens of different sounds threaded together by a theme. Poor Bill has tried to change my erroneous ways by recommending great albums to me throughout the year.
But, it’s just not my style. So, instead of listing my top albums of the year, I’m going to list my top songs (in no particular order - oh god, I am just defying the whole point)
- “Ready to Start” - Arcade Fire (from The Suburbs)
- “Summer Well” - Interpol (from Interpol)*
- “Wishing He Was Dead” - The Like (from Release Me)
- “Excuses” - The Morning Benders (from Big Echo)
- “Vesuvius” - Sufjan Stevens (from The Age of Adz)
- “I Feel Better” - Hot Chip (from One Life Stand)
- “Ambling Alp” - Yeasayer (from Odd Blood)
- ”Next Girls” - The Black Keys (from Brothers)
- (Honorable mention to LCD Soundsystem - “Drunk Girls“ and OK Go because all of their music videos are great)
- Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - The Social Network
- Infant Sorrow - Get Him to the Greek
- The Twilight Saga: Eclipse**
*The album was decidedly disappointing to say the least but this one song was a shining beacon of hope as an Interpol fan.
** Please, please don’t hang me. You guys know how I feel about Alexandra Patsavas and she put together another really great compilation.